Teach.com

Monday, November 14, 2011

When You Need Insentive

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035610542@N01/
     I started the night beating myself up because I had written 44 posts this year but it had been over a month since my last post.  I even stated in on Twitter: " Beating myself up for not posting on my blog in over a month. I had 44 posts this year and just ran into a buzz saw called life."   


     That's when Laron Carter (@laroncarter) called me on it with his tweet, "So you're another incredible human surfing the Twitterverse. Bravo! Now write that 300 word post bruh!"  And, here I am writing a post.


     I'm always having teachers asking "Why Twitter?"  They don't get it.  I can give them links to items titled "50 ways to use Twitter in the Classroom," or " Social Media in the Classroom"  and they aren't swayed.  I can give them links to great magazine articles or newspaper articles I read because I saw the link on twitter and they aren't swayed.  I can send them links to insightful blog posts written by people I follow on twitter and they aren't swayed.


     Well, here's an intangible reason to be active on twitter - Instant Motivator.   I have used twitter to give (or receive) encouragement while getting back in shape.  I have used twitter to give (or receive) encouragement with classroom issues.  I have used twitter to give (or receive) encouragement with the loss of a relative or pet.  You get the point.


     When you have hundreds of people who you interact with on a regular basis someone will be having a bad day.  Someone will be grieving.  Someone will be facing an uphill battle that seems insurmountable.  Your PLN will be there for you and you will be there for your PLN.  


     You may never have met some of these wonderful people.  You may never MEET these wonderful people.  But they are there.  And, it may be someone like @laroncarter who gets you off your butt to start working on something that you enjoy doing but just need that push to get back in the saddle.   Twitter isn't just for the sharing of great stuff for the classroom.  It's also for the sharing of motivation.  Now, get off your butt and start doing whatever it is you have been avoiding doing.  You can do it!


NOTE:       Well, sigh...my wife pointed out to me that I, the knucklehead, misspelled Incentive.  And, she pointed out, there might be some English teachers reading this. Well, if I change the title now I'll totally mess up the SEO and Search Crawlers.  She assures me that "everyone" has done that mistake before.  That's why I married her 22 years ago. Sigh...   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesss Sir! Might I add Re: Why Twitter... That I discovered you and this fabulous blog or yours under the skin of my Passionate Learning Network.

    So funny that my original Tweet was written and sent as a word of encouragement. But then as I read the RT in this post I thought, "Did I write that?" Can I plead The "Typo" on this one?

    There is definitely an art to effectively communicating ones thoughts and ideas. I believe that if your heart is right so will be your intent. And if you make a mistake, "Don't spend a minute dwelling on the past. Move forward and beyond." -Jack Welch

    Reality is that I was instantly motivated by Chris' article as I'm sure many other blogees will be. My hope is that others will be NspiredBy @cfanch many uses of Twitter and become part of this great PLN. If anything, consider checking it at the door. It's your time to soar! http://ow.ly/7tZ6S

    Stay focused. Stay confident and get motivated today. #youmatter @laroncarter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Laron for the kind words. I might add that I hope others will discover your words of wisdom through my links in this post. Thank you again for inspiring me to get off my butt and "just write!"

    ReplyDelete